We’ve all heard the age old saying “A journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a single step.” But why is it so hard to remember it when pursuing positive health changes and outcomes? Maybe because we are brain washed by marketers to believe in quick, miracle fixes for everything – instant weight loss, spot reductions and more.
Sorry, but ancient saying persist for a good reason: They’re true! So, the secret to making big, positive changes isn’t instant gratification. It’s making small changes to create new daily habits.
The philosophy made a huge best-seller of the book “Atomic Habits”, which suggests we make molecular change at first, then add to it more and more, and repeat this until a new, positive behaviour becomes ingrained in our life. It’s the ages-old idea of delayed gratification: If I make this small sacrifice today, I will be really, really happy about it later.
So, as 2023 begins, keep in mind this super wise advice to start small, make progress one step at a time, be consistent, be patient and you will be successful in whatever you pursue.
My approach in my 1:1 work with clients is to create sustainable, lifelong health my making manageable changes at the right pace. I see so many programs out there that promise a total gut or hormone fix in 30 days and it’s honestly disheartening to me because I know from experience that quick fixes do not equal long term solutions.
So much can happen when you focus on small, but impactful lifestyle changes at a pace that doesn’t overwhelm you. Let me know if you want me to help you work towards your health goals with you this year!
My Daily Morning Routine.
I don’t always complete this in the same order but I try to fit all of these things in to my day each morning. For example in Winter I may do the sunlight aspect last when the sun is brighter compared to doing it first in Summer. Flexibility is key!
- Early morning sunlight without any eyewear – minimum 15-20 minutes as soon as I get up or as soon as the sun start to rise.
- Breakfast followed by coffee – Read my posts on how I make my morning coffee HERE.
- Supplements – you can read more about some of the daily supplements I take HERE.
- Morning meditation – 15 mins minimum sitting in a comfortable place (indoors in Winter, outdoors in Summer).
- Read – I try to read a book for a minimum of 30 minutes daily preferably in the morning. Some of my favorite books are listed HERE.
- Cold shower – whilst practicing breathing exercises. Summer my full shower will be cold but in Winter I reduce it to a few minutes of cold water exposure. Read more about cold water exposure HERE.
- Walk my amazing dog Newton! I do a fast paced walk/jog to kick start my energy levels and burn some of Newton’s energy for the day.
Remember start with one thing and make it a habit before you try adding something else in.