As we step into fall, you might be hearing a lot about detoxing or cleansing your body. It’s a topic that can be quite controversial, with countless products and diets promising miracles.
I’ve had quite a few people reach out to me this week asking me for detox/cleanse recommendations, so thought it would be helpful to address it more broadly.
You don’t need to torture yourself and do a week long juice cleanse to give your body the rejuvenating boost it deserves this season.
Instead, focus on some common-sense steps that will help your body do what it’s naturally meant to do:
1. Focus on drinking plenty of mineral rich water and herbal tea. Maybe take a break from alcohol, sodas and caffeine to let your body reset and rehydrate.
2. Eat whole, natural seasonal foods. Opt for organic fresh fruits, vegetables, nutrient dense proteins (think grass fed meats) and healthy fats (i.e. no seed oils) to nourish your body from the inside out.
3. Meditate, do mindful breathing, practice yoga, journal, and spend time in nature to nourish the mind-body-spirit connection.
4. Enjoy a long, hot bath or a sauna to heat the body, which aids in natural purification.
5. Get a massage.
6. Load up on trace minerals & electrolytes and consider commonly used healing herbs like triphala and ashwagandha for digestion and stress. Talk to health practitioner for individual coaching.
7. Get plenty of sleep in a cool, dark, quiet space. Quality sleep is essential to detoxing. Bonus tip: turn the Wifi off at night to give your body a break from it to rest and repair.
8. Take digital breaks from social media and the phone, as much as possible.
The idea is to slow down, consume only natural, healthy items, and give your body and mind a break.
Restoration doesn’t have to take weeks and extraordinary effort. A little can go a long way.